Thursday, January 17, 2013

How Did I Get Here?

     Have you ever looked around and thought to yourself how did I get here? Maybe we know some of the decisions we made that brought us to where we are at this time in our life, but somethings you couldn't have predicted or dreamt of at any time in your past. Sometimes you've dreamt of this moment your entire life and you have no doubt how or why you're sitting where you are. I didn't imagine I'd ever be sitting in a hotel telling people not to worry, and explaining the process theyre about to go through to get into the military.
     For once in my life, I'm able to see what people mean when they tell me I make friends very easily. I can't know why it is, but in the past week of unknowns I've encountered, I've met and learned the stories of so many people. I then realize how quiet people get with nerves and fear. Scared of questions, scared of the unknown, or perhaps just quiet. I've seen 4 words make or break a person and everything they've ever wanted, and I've heard people signing contracts just because they don't know what else they should do.
     I find myself no longer at a crossroad, not even approaching one, but at the most desirable place a person looking at the rest of their life can be. I find myself full of purpose, direction, and drive. While walking to my shuttle home yesterday, one of the men behind me goes "We're in the family.", and at that very moment, I knew I would never regret the life decision I made, and I would always be willing to do anything for my new family. The moment the Dr. said I had made the cut, I had one of those smiles you cannot hide. His statement was "I'm happy for you, but I can tell not as happy as you are!", and when I told the soldiers waiting with me I made it, he said "We could tell by your face!"
     I've spent years feeling like my life was going no where. Where my life now goes, is completely in my control. What a feeling. How I got here, I will never know; I'll just thank God I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment