Monday, November 21, 2011

The Understood "Thanks"

     I hate when I'm cold, get a hot drink, and start dripping sweat. No fun, just sayin'. Also, I don't own rain boots, and I go to college. Idiot. Lastly, I hate women's roller coaster emotions. It's so not fair to those around us. I can control mine to those I'm not very comfortable with, but there's the select few who take the brunt of my hormones. I hate it. I've gotten quite good at the "think before you speak" practice, and stop myself a lot, but sometimes I just have to get it out and let it rip. Not ever a good day for that person. Oooo also, I signed up for classes! I decided not to do psychology this semester, as I don't want to be overloaded. However, I did sign up for American History, Communications, Personal Conditioning, Spanish II, Beginning Weight Lifting, and Orientation to Art. Yes, 2 PE kind of classes. I wanted to do yoga a lot, as I need to stretch more terribly, but the class I needed was already full.

     I say it ALL the time how I try to say things to people I want to hear. So, to the person I like, it's how much I like them. To the person who don't make sex sounds on the other side of my wall, it's the return of silence, to the girl in line at Starbucks with the cute earrings, it's expressing my opinion. You get the point.  I just wrote a post on thanks to those who've influenced me, and then I went to church yesterday and heard a sermon about how that should be done. I felt like a saint, not going to lie! We know I'm not, but I had a little bit of satisfaction in me. Some thought I get often, usually towards those I'm close with, is making sure the things that are usually taken for granted, aren't. Like what? Like when they ask if I'm feeling better, or how my day was, or give me a hug, etc. The things we expect in the back of our mind. This might stem from me having people not ask, and me getting offended, and I now don't expect them any more. Not totally positive.
     The fact that our line cooks are supposed to make our food as we ordered it, isn't something I expect. Every time I pull my food out of the window, I toss a thank you their way for making my food for me. What about a "bless you" to the man at the register next to you? Wouldn't you want someone to say it to you? I would! So I say it to them.
     Our thankfulness starts where our expectations stop. ....Dwell on it.....
     As stated, you don't say thank you for things you expect. You expect them. Pay attention to the things people do, don't take them for granted, and take them as a blessing.

1 comment:

  1. Great exhortation Jenn! Thanks for reminding me of this principle :)

    ReplyDelete