Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Jen's Gone Paleo!

First off.... I don't know why you would think I would be referring to myself. My name has 2 N's! Second, I don't eat meat, so it would be hard. Third... I love to find ways to put flaxmeal in things!


Jen's Gone Paleo: Apple-Pecan Flaxy goodness! (muffins)

I adapted the recipe that I found here.



½ cup almond flour 
½ cup flax meal
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg 

4 dates
1 Cup egg Sub
2 Tablespoons coconut oil

2/3 cup water
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
1/2 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened) 

3 oz. dried apples (no sugar added)
  1. In a large bowl combine almond flour, flax meal, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt
  2. In a blender, blend dates, dried apples, eggs, coconut oil and water on high speed until very smooth
  3. Mix wet ingredients into dry, then stir in sesame seeds, shredded coconut, and pecans
  4. Spoon batter into lined (or sprayed) muffin tins
  5. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes (for six large muffins) or 17-22 minutes (for nine medium muffins)
  6. Cool and serve
Notes:  (1) Almond flour is expensive. Do yourself a flavor, and throw almonds into a food processor! (2) The batter is more like a dough, but more wet than dough; don't panic. (3) These are VERY moist. Either consume quickly, or freeze; they will mold within about 4 days. (4) If you try these, and have no blessed idea what Paleo is, it's very low carb very high fat. So know what you're consuming.

Here's mine!!


And I'm always feeling generous and musical, so here!

3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! You gonna make me one? I didn't know you were vegetarian! I am also on a diet... I try to eat as much red meat as possible, it been a pretty easy diet to stick with lol. Why did you choose vegetarian? Is it a health thing, or an animal cruelty thing ? You seem caring and healthy so I just can't guess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started it as a fun challenge then lost a lot of weight and stuck with it. I'm ok with people eating animals. But I also know that we could feed a lot of people with the corn used to feed and plump up the animals.. Actually... I have this little loaf that I need to get rid of because I'm cutting Saturday haha. Want it?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I guess my comment didn't post, that sounds great. Is the cake still alive lol? Hit me up, we'll talk vegetarian loaf. 6156636928

    ReplyDelete