Saturday, November 27, 2010

Sometimes Actions and Words Correlate. Neither Louder Than The Other..

Every time I go to say something, or I have emotions that I wish didn't exist, or I'm about to do something out of emotion, my thoughts go directly to this book. While Chan isn't an all knowing interpreter from God, I am easily able to justify his opinions, meaning he convinces me to believe the same thing. It now (not in the moment) over joys me to have someone "wrong" me, or feel I've been wronged, because it causes me to be able to exhibit the God in me! Think about it.. anytime you feel you've been wronged, emotions, not good ones, arise. In that moment you have a choice to act on them, or you can suffer in silence and fight your flesh with truth.
In our cyber world, actions don't always trump your words. You may choose to write on someone's "wall" or send that text message, and what you said is what matters. Recently I've been faced pretty much every day with the decision of how to react where I feel "wronged" or where my emotions run wild. Some I'm more than proud to know I acted justly.. others.. I'm still learning.
Something that hits me hard is the concept Chan reminded me of. No one owes you anything.
You say something nice, obviously nothing has to be said in return. You help someone out, they have no obligation to return the favor. The word "sorry" can be so deceiving to me. As though they owe you an apology for something so basic like they were busy, or they can't tell you, or what ever. As though they have some kind of obligation to you..
This isn't to be taken, flipped, and used as a "I don't owe them anything". It's to simply say have no expectation of something in return. Bless people's leggings off, even though you've never felt the same thing from them.. Give freely of yourself and your time, even if people aren't doing the same with you. I've always, before reading this book, been one of those kinds of friends that would drop everything if you needed something, or would sacrifice anything to help you, or be treated like crap in order to help you through something. I understand how brutal it is to give and give and give and have nothing good come back. You don't understand why you can't find anyone with the same qualities. But I'm quickly learning, it's not about you. You have to be willing to sacrifice yourself as well for God. Let your emotions be in the rough, to bring him glory and to show love to those around you.
When I, and we all conquer that.. It's a feeling like no other to know you just exhibited God when you wanted nothing less than to curse someone out and to say somethings that would only hurt. Sure, the action of saying.. but in my opinion, its both. Especially in the world we live in.
You may ignore someone.. but It's the words you didn't say that hurt them. Chew on that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment