Thursday, July 21, 2011

We're Drawn To What We're Applauded For.

     In my personal experience, if I (we) aren't good at something, we have no desire to do it. Like cooking. I'm bad at it. Do I want to spend the day doing it? Nope. Reading. I'm a very slow reader. Do I want to do it? Nope. So, not everything is this way, but a lot of things are, for me at least. If someone tells me I'm good at something, or I get positive attention for it, the odds of me doing it are pretty good. Not that that's how it should be, and not that I like it because I get the attention, but it's quite an incentive.
     Mini story: I'm lifting (like every other day). There's an old man, 50's, who has just started his lifting journey, and loves to bring in his pictures of old body builders, etc, and will tell you "someday!" Granted, he's rather annoying, but rumor has it, he really wants to hear what you have to say. He was lecturing another lifter (or sounded so) about an injury that man said he had, something on his foot, I wasn't exactly listening. I finish an exercise, and look at the man and chuckle. Why? Because he seemed like he wanted this guy to stop talking, and I found it kind of funny that he wouldn't. I just moved on. I come back, do another set, the man looks at me and goes "are you a medical student, because you're looking at us like we're dumb." ....I'm like "oh...no..? ......sorry" (yikes!) But... What am I going to do?! So I continued to my next exercise. Right before he leaves, the gentleman comes up to me (after I've done bent over rows--last set) and goes "do you have a trainer?" I say "no". He says "oh, come on!" I then explained I had, but not like at the gym, and I wasn't really that into the whole lifting thing at that time. We chat a bit, and he asks if I've considered power lifting. Which I haven't. He said, "Yea I saw you doing rows, and noticed you have really great form. Not many get a row right, and not many women are trying." (I don't know if I trust his judgment on form, I am a novice here!) The man whose name I know but can't remember (:/) said he's seen teenage boys bring in their girlfriends, and have them do 10 sets of how ever many reps of bench presses. I was pretty surprised by that. I love this stuff, and I wouldn't want to endure 10 sets of benching hah! Anyways, he was very impressed (esp. when I said how long I've been at this), which is always flattering!
     Point? I love it because I'm good at it, and I'm good at it because I love it. I'm just outgoing enough to meet people at the gym, and I find it to be a very comfortable place! I could totally just go on and on about why I do it, and how much I love it, but I'll refrain :).
     So, NSV! Happy moment, motivation, whatever you want to label it.
     Now, I seriously need to clean. I haven't since I had guests, and well, yes, it's not clean :)



     Someone introduced me to this band, and I rather like them!

1 comment:

  1. i need you to go pay some people to compliment me on my cardio so i get motivated to do it more!

    ReplyDelete